Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

How To Search The Invisible Web With CompletePlanet

Posted by LEMBAR Monday, March 9, 2009

Search over 70.000+ databases










Navigate to the CompletePlanet.com home page, and you'll see the standard search query bar right in the middle of the page. Below that, you have a wide variety of topics from which to choose - this is a good place to start if you have a really good idea of where your particular search query is headed. Let's look at both options and see what happens.
My search for clouds using the standard search bar returned 187 "related databases." Your CompletePlanet results are a bit different than searching for the word "clouds" in a less focused search portal; instead of your search results page being full of links to a whole bunch of Web sites, CompletePlanet uses its technology called Deep Query Manager instead to search databases. Your results, therefore, are made up of various Deep Web databases.

My search for clouds using the topic database worked a bit differently. I chose the topic science in order to initially narrow down my search, then I decided to explore Meterology. At this point, CompletePlanet only returned one result for my intial search query of clouds, but it was a pretty good one - it turned out to be the Australian government's Greenhouse and Climate change page. I think that for me, I prefer narrowing down my topic from the get-go in CompletePlanet, since I felt the results were more targeted and relevant; however, I believe that it's completely your own personal preference.

At the bottom of every search result, you'll see little colored squares indicated how relevant your result is to your original search query; the highest score is four squares, so the more squares, the better. Next to that you'll see the size of that particular file and the date it was "harvested", rather, when CompletePlanet spidered that page.



CompletePlanet Advanced Search

CompletePlanet Advanced Search is pretty standard; you get the option to search by title, keyword, description, date, etc. I would also highly recommend that you take a quick look at CompletePlanet Search Help - it's a great introduction to what you can really do with CompletePlanet.



Why Should I Use CompletePlanet?

First of all, it's extremely easy to use, and even more simple to narrow down searches without a lot of complicated search syntax or search operators. Secondly, CompletePlanet is searching the Invisible Web; so your results overall are of a higher standard (since they are in academic, government, military, etc. databases) than if you searched for the same item in a general search engine. Thirdly, I really like how CompletePlanet's list of topics is right on the front page - it makes it easy to narrow down or broaden your search; plus, I just enjoy seeing what's out there in topics I wouldn't ordinarily be searching within. I highly recommend CompletePlanet as a great tool with which to search the Deep Web.

0 comments

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
LEMBAR
When I couldn't fly, you gave me wings. When I couldn't see, You being my eyes. When I couldn't breathe, You be my parting lips. Thank you, Thank you and thank you for all the attention you have given (Society). My Email : Clenoros@yahoo.com
View my complete profile

Blog Archive